Puzzle Sixteen - Movie Magic
Five Gryffindor sixth year boys (Corvis, Danil, Edmund, Frank, and Gerald) were interested in seeing the first installment of the life story of one of Gryffindor's greatest wizards finally portrayed on the Muggle big screen.
None of the boys came from pure Muggle families, and so they were all a bit confused about how to hide themselves from the crowds of Muggles. Two of them decided to use magic to conceal themselves (one using an invisibility cloak and the other using a Unnoticeable Charm). The other three decided to use disguises of Muggle clothing - one disguised himself by wearing a full tuxedo, another by dressing up as a university student, and the third by putting on red muggle clothing that looked suspiciously like the uniform of the Liverpool Football Club.
All five of them made their way to a movie theatre in London - and since the movie was so highly anticipated in the Muggle world, it was showing on five screens simultaneously. The five Gryffindors decided to split up so as to attract less attention than they had on their trip on the tube. Each would see the movie on a different screen.
The five screening rooms were arranged left to right like this:
Can you figure out which Gryffindor boy used which method of disguise or concealment, and in which screening room each saw the film?
You may use the following table to help you figure it out. When you've completed the puzzle, you may check your work - a link to the solution is below.
- The five Gryffindors are Edmund, the one who dressed as a university student, the one who saw the movie in Room 2, and the two who used magic to hide themselves.
- Gerald's movie room was somewhere to the left of Corvis'; one of them was in Room 4.
- The student who used the invisibility cloak and the student who disguised himself as a university student were in Rooms 3 and 5, in some order.
- Danil's movie room was not to the immediate right of the student who wore the tuxedo.
- The three students who disguised themselves using Muggle clothing did not attend the movie in rooms that were all right next to each other.
- The student who disguised himself with the Liverpool FC uniform and Frank were in rooms next to each other, in one order or another - Frank, however, was not in Room 2.
Click on the link for the solution to Movie Magic, the sixteenth puzzle. This puzzle was correctly solved by:
Pyrus Japonica, Mercury "Mark" McKinnon, Shadow Diggory, Bronwyn Pendragon, Lucy Liu, Eduya Shsao, Claire Silverthorne, Fake Moody, Ody Zeus, Dara Ware, Emma Bott, Irix Nuit, Katie McAnders, Guppie Ewing, Rhiannon Llewellyn, Evylyn Desirée, Hillary Weasley, Ororo Granger, Rogue Granger, Mabel Diggory, Acinonyx Jubatus, and Sir De'ath de Si&.
Congratulations to all who successfully solved the puzzle!
Puzzles and page copyright 2001 by Godrics Ghost (R '08).
All Harry Potter trademarks remain the property of their rightful owner.