Puzzle Eight - The Guardians
The Ministry of Magic employs specially-trained wizards called Guardians who are ready to respond quickly whenever a magical creature threatens the well-being of a human - whether wizard or Muggle.
On the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year, four Hogwarts students (Brian, Cassidy, Munir, and Wendy) were lucky enough to run into a group of Guardians who'd stopped by the Three Broomsticks. Each of the four Hogwarts students had a conversation with a different Guardian (whose names were Calindra, Destrius, Roake, and Shedra, in no particular order). Each Guardian, as it turns out, began his or her career in a different year (1992, 1993, 1994, or 1995) and specializes in a different dangerous magical creature (Lethifold, Dragon, Kelpie, or Acromantula).
Can you match each of the Guardians to the year his or her career began, to his or her specialty creature, and to the Hogwarts student with whom he or she conversed?
You may use the following table to help you figure it out. When you've completed the puzzle, you may check your work - a link to the solution is at the bottom of the page.
- The four Guardians are Shedra, the one who talked to Brian, the one who specializes in Dragons, and the one whose career began in 1994.
- Destrius joined the Guardians in 1993.
- The Guardian who specializes in Kelpies did not join the organization the year before the Guardian who talked to Wendy.
- The Guardian with the Lethifold specialty joined the organization the year after Calindra did, and the year before the one who had a conversation with Munir.
- Roake doesn't specialize in acromantulae.
Click on the link for the solution to The Guardians, the eighth puzzle. This puzzle was correctly solved by:
Guppie Ewing, Mercury "Mark" McKinnon, Minerva Potter, Heather Kinney, Fake Moody, Dea Aurumlupi, Ody Zeus, Pyrus Japonica, Dara Ware, Zara Black, Shadow Diggory, Niche Eenhoorn, Azure Chapeau, Daisy Treefrog, Mabel Diggory, Claire Silverthorne, Lynn Law, Acinonyx Jubatus, Irix Nuit, Tanya Kirk, Day Baye, Arca Machiavelo, Kara Grainger, Kelsey Brennan, Mina Storm, Kimaire Seloiro, Julie Spinnet, Rogue Granger, and Ororo Granger.
Congratulations to all who successfully solved the puzzle!
Puzzles and page copyright 2001 by Godrics Ghost (R '08).
All Harry Potter trademarks remain the property of their rightful owner.